Happy orange new year

For the new year, I went orange. I bought some Vlnap yarn right before Christmas at a small galanterie across from Tesco at Narodni Trida. The shop was about to close--the woman, although friendly enough, only spoke Czech--a nice young woman appeared from over my shoulder to translate--so I chose quickly. My standard preferences for orange and purple (there was no green!) guided me. The yarn with the highest wool content was Geisha, 64% acrylic, 24% wool, 12% mohair. So I ended up with a lovely DARK purple, almost black, and a nice orange with heathery tones. I also bought a red/pink/purple mix and a blue/green/purple mix Geisha.

It's fuzzy and it sheds. It's not ideal, but it's fun and somehow appealing. So far I've completed an orange set: the hat is one strand orange, one strand pink mix, on 10.5 needles.

The fingerless mitts are the bomb. I am in love with them. We spent New Year's holidays in Krkonose, the Giant Mountains, and it was cold. I wore the mitts indoors in our pension (some rooms were warm, others not) and outdoors over a pair of fingered lightweight stretchy gloves (29 crown specials from a Prague Christmas market of the past--29 crowns is about $1.25 at today's rates). They are one strand, on #8 needles.

I'm working on a vest from the blue/purple yarn. I already knit a hat from the pink mix stranded with the purple as a birthday gift for Bozena.
all in all, for 42 crowns a ball, I'm happy with the Vlnap yarn.

Comments

Popular Posts